Wednesday, April 29

Spring Porch Poem

Today was the day the Spring poem went up on the front porch. This has nothing to do with anything, except the return of Spring, and this poem from Mary Oliver, which is only one of her poems that I love, so enjoy:

From The Book of Time
1.

I rose this morning early as usual, and went to my desk.
But it's spring,

and the thrush is in the woods,
somewhere in the twirled branches, and he is singing.

And so, now, I am standing by the open door.
And now I am stepping down onto the grass.

I am touching a few leaves.
I am noticing the way the yellow butterflies
move together, in a twinkling cloud, over the field.

And I am thinking: maybe just looking and listening
is the real work.

Maybe the word, without us,
is the real poem.

1 comment:

Annabelle said...

if i could just get into the zen of this poem instead of just peeking in, i know i would feel so much better. but that would take so much time and i have a million other things to do...