Tuesday, October 28

BHO: The New Deal, Real Deal

Last night, I was enjoying one of my usual wild nights--you know, curled up on the couch under a pile of afghans with a heavy stack of books and a cup of chai whose heat didn't even last the short steps from the kitchen to the living room--and I came across some quotes that I found particularly heartening and wonderful. (OK. I was reading Bartlett's Familiar Quotations. It's a little better, isn't it, than spending nights reading the phone book? A little less pathetic?)

I'd like to share them with you now. You know, spread the excitement. Pass the chai. Or maybe we could switch to wine now that there are two of us gathered here huddled over the big brown book.

"These unhappy times call for the building of plans ... that build from the bottom up and not from the top down, that put their faith once more in the forgotten man at the bottom of the economic pyramid." FDR, 1932

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." FDR, 1937

"Never before have we had so little time in which to do so much." FDR, 1942

"It is not a tax bill but a tax relief bill providing relief not for the needy but for the greedy." FDR, veto message, 1944

Do any of these sound familiar, timely, relevant? Do they ring some bells? Somehow they bolstered me, lent me assurance that given sound and intelligent leadership maybe we will figure out a way to better times again.

One week until Election Day. I am still worried and working for Obama. As the little sign on my wall reminds me, "Pray like hell, then do something!"

1 comment:

Arsen Kashkashian said...

I'm worried too. I don't care what the polls say, I won't believe it until the votes are counted. It's great to read those FDR quotes. Our culture has a complete disconnect between paying taxes and getting services. How do they think the government runs? Oh yes, it's all deficit spending. Just like so many people do in their personal lives. Interesting to see where that got us.